考试科目： 英语（1） 考试时间： 2014年11月9日 适用班级： 2014级MEM 考试方式： 闭卷 说明：答题内容写在答题纸上，写在试卷或草稿纸上一律无效，考完后试卷随答题纸交回。 Vocabulary and Structure （40*0.5=20 marks ） 1. The boss tried to _______ his men about striking by telling them he would fire them. A. embarrass B. commit C. intimidate D. discipline 2. I hope that this talk has given you some insight _______ the kind of work that we ’ve been doing. A. from B. of C. at D. into 3. He translated not only from the English, but also, on _______, from the French. A. occasion B. surface C. risk D. amazing 4. He had repeatedly_______ her to come to the United States to join him, but she was still reluctant. A. complained B. coordinated C. urged D. changed 5. The students were asked to give a _______ on communication through body language. A. representation B. presentation C. reaction D. impression 6. The disease is spreading, and all the children under five are _______ risk.
7. Tom admits that watching TV sometimes distracts him _______ his homework.
8. The boy had a strong _______ to know what was in the letter sent to his father.
9. The thief tried to run away but gave up when he found himself _______.
10. The city has a big problem: how can it save these fine old buildings_______
11. _______ I admit his shortcomings, I still like him.
12. There are several characteristics of the book _______ special attention.
B. worthy of
C. worth of
13. No agreement was reached in the discussion as neither side would give way to _______.
A. the other
B. any other
14. Understanding the cultural habits of another nation, especially _______ containing as many different subcultures as the United States, is a complex task.
B. the one
15. However, at times this balance in nature is _______, resulting in a number of
possibly unforeseen effects.
16. If you _______ yourself to the job in hand, you’ll soon finish it.
17. There is an urgent need for a _______ reform of our tax system.
18. He jumped from the table, _______ his hat and ran to the bus stop.
19. The children’s ages are _______ 8, 11, and 13.
20. Employees in that company had been _______ to unfair treatment.
21. The chapter _______ to more than ninety pages.
22. The hostess _______ some lemon juice for me.
23. The little boy seems to be _______ with what his parents have said.
24. American eat _______ as they actually need every day.
A. twice as much protein
B. twice protein as much twice
C. twice protein as much
D. protein as twice much
25. Young adults _______older people are more likely to prefer pop songs.
A. other than
B. rather than
C. more than
D. less than
26. I made a mistake and I will _______ responsibility for it.
27. The teacher is instructing his students to appreciate Spring, which is a most _______ piece of work written by Zhu Ziqing.
28. It is our _______ policy that we will achieve unification through peaceful
29. She is going to _______ the meeting in a minute.
30. You _______ the flowers now, for it is going to rain.
A. needn’t water
B. didn’t need watering
C. needn’t watering
D. needn’t have watered
31. You don’t like to swim, so you _______ stay at home.
A. should as well
B. may as well
C. can as well
D. would as well
32. He felt _______ happiness when he knew that he would attend the famous university.
33. The traveler _______ his journey with joy.
34. The committee promised to _______ a new program to control pollution.
35. Over three quarters of the city _______ destroyed in the war.
36. Statistics _______ that approximately 40 percent of all marriage in the US end
B. is shown
D. are shown
37. More than one person _______been infected with the disease.
D. to have
38. All the students have to _______ to the rules, and regulation of the school.
39. The strike of miners _______ the needs for better treatment and higher pay.
40. In the international communication every country has the right to _______ its
Cloze (20*1=20 marks)
Most students think of the library only (41) a place where books are stored, but a library also (42) many valuable services. The library may loan records and/or films, (43) often houses coin-operated photocopying machines, and it (44) provide listening rooms, typing (45) ______, and study rooms. Many libraries offer interlibrary loan system whereby they can borrow books (46) other libraries for your (47) .
The people (48) work in a library are perhaps (49) important than any particular thing (50)_____ is kept there. (51) _______ you may think of librarians as people who check (52) and shelve books, you will (53)____ that college librarians are valuable to talk (54) . They can help you locate information, suggest a focus and direction for approaching a topic, and help you to (55) your research. Even though librarians always look (56) , do not hesitate to ask them questions. There is always (57) one librarian usually located in the reference area, (58) primary responsibility is to (59) ______ students.
Visit the library, look (60) , and be ready to use it effectively when you get first class assignments this semester.
41. A. for B. as C. about D. like
42. A. sends B. offers C. affords D. arranges
43. A. it B. they C. its D. he
44. A. may B. must C. even D. also
45. A. offices B. machines C. rooms D. lessons
46. A. to B. for C. with D. from
47. A. time B. use C. part D. classmates
48. A. whose B. which C. who D. when
49 A. very B. rather C. more D. most
50. A. what B. whoever C. they D. that
51. A. That B. Who C. While D. What
52. A. in B. up C. for D. out
53. A. find B. understand C. ask D. give
54. A. over B. to C. in D. about
55. A. type B. assign C. organize D. publish
56. A. happy B. young C. busy D. helpful
57. A. at least B. at last C. at most D. at first
58. A. it B. which C. its D. whose
59. A. warn B. alarm C. assist D. control
60. A. after B. around C. ahead D. down
Passage One: (10*2=20 marks)
Questions 61 to 65 are based on the following passage.
I scanned this diary and found out that the theme for this week is about the greatest thing that I’ve learned from my father. I initially felt sad, you know. I didn’t grow up with my father beside me. I grew up with my grandma and so I practically hadn’t felt how it is like to live with your father — or even with your immediate family.
The word “father” is really a very strange word for me. I was often jealous with my classmates whenever we would have a family day and my parents were often not around. But then, I outgrew that — I became used to my situation. Besides, I wasn’t the only one “suffering” in that way. But my father and I meet once in a while. During special occasions, he would go to our house and would visit me, if only to say hi or greet me in that occasion — may it be Christmas, my birthday or new year. But then, it isn’t enough, is it?
Therefore, I am not very comfortable in his presence especially now that I am also beginning to grow up. I just always feel sorry that the times when we could really get to know each other better had just passed us by and time is simply one of the most unchangeable things on earth. Whatever we did in the past, we never undo. Whatever we failed to do, we cannot do now — at least, with as much effect as it could have by then.
However, I believe that my father’s absence is not a reason for me not to learn
something from him. As a matter of fact, the reality that I grew up not having him beside me taught me a wonderful thing: Independence. Yes, because I know that I don’t always have a father whom I can share my problems with, I grew up more mature and more capable of solving my problems and bearing with difficulties. And I am always proud of that. And I guess, he is also proud of what I am becoming right now.
61. According to the passage, the author grows up with _______ .
A. his father
B. his mother
C. his grandfather
D. his grandmother
62. What does the word “outgrew” (Para.2) mean?
A. Grow faster than.
B. Grow older than.
C. Grow too big for.
D. Grow old enough to overcome.
63.Which of the following is NOT true about the author’s feeling about his father?
A. He became used to the situation without his father.
B. He was sad when he was young.
C. He hates his father.
D. Now he feels proud of his independent ability.
64. What does the author get from his father’s absence?
65. What can be inferred from the passage?
A. The author has forgiven his father’s absence.
B. The father never worries about the author.
C. The father does not care for the author at all.
D. The author is indeed quite angry with his father.
Questions 66 to 70 are based on the following passage.
I went through four years of high school in Alabama, and became active in clubs and sports. I made a lot of friends and became a regular boy. But one thing was irregular about me: I managed those four years without ever having a friend visit my house.
I was ashamed of where I lived. We had a big family. Several of the members of the
family were sleeping in one room, but that’s not so bad if you get along and we always did. As you get older, though, things get worse.
We lived in a lot of old houses. Some of them were in bad shape ten years before we moved in, they were hot in summer and freezing in winter. I woke up every morning for a year and a half with dust on my face. It had fallen out of the ceiling during the night.
The same goes for keeping a house like that clean. If you have a house full of children and rubbish, you will keep it clean. Daddy used to shout at Mama about that, but she couldn’t do anything. I think Daddy knew it himself, but he had to let out his anger somewhere. And shouting at least isn’t as bad as hitting.
This was not during the Depression; this was in the l ate 60’s and early 70’s.
I am thankful none of us children ever blamed our parents for this. It was not their fault. They were always looking for a house just a little better than the place we were living in. you have to understand that my parents worked a lot harder than most people. My mother was always at home, but for her that was a full-time job —and no fun, either. But my father worked his head off from the time I can remember, in factories or shops. It was hard labor. But no matter how much money Daddy earned, we never made much progress up the social ladder. That was how it was in those days in the United States.
66. Which of the following is true about the narrator as a high school student?
A. He made a lot of friends, but no one would like to visit his house.
B. He did not have a really good friend at all.
C. He did not invite any friend to his house when in high school.
D. He was an irregular boy because he managed four years without ever having a
friend visit his house.
67. He did not have a friend visit his house because of ________ .
A. His poor family.
B. His old houses.
C. His parents who didn’t make much money.
D. His parents who couldn’t buy him good houses to live in.
68. What can be inferred from the passage?
A. He was active in clubs and sports although he never had a friend visit his house.
B. It is difficult to fix up the old house; so is it to keep it clean.
C. Daddy used to shout at Mama although she could do nothing to keep the house
D. Shouting is better than hitting.
69. What does the phrase “worked his head off” (Para.6) mean?
A. worked for a long time until his head was off
B. worked very hard to make his head off
C. worked for a long time
D. worked to death
70. They never made much progress up the social ladder, ________.
A. however much money his father made.
B. because they were experiencing the Great Depression.
C. because their father didn’t work hard and earn much money.
D. no matter how hard his father worked.
Writing (20 marks)
Your ideas on the price of real estate in China.(200 words minimum)