文档库 最新最全的文档下载
当前位置:文档库 › 自考英语二第八单元讲义

自考英语二第八单元讲义

Unit 8 Text A

effective adj.有效的, 被实施的, 给人深刻印象, 有生力量 effectiveness n.

stumble vt. vi.结结巴巴地说话,使困惑,蹒跚 stumble over 结结巴巴地说

e.g. When she was asked to answer questions in class, she always stumbles over her words. moderate vt. vi. (使)缓和 a.中等的,适度的 moderator n.裁判者,主持人

convince vt.使确信,使信服

spoil vt.损坏,搞糟,扰乱

e.g.The crops have been spoiled by the insects.

confuse vt. 搞乱,使糊涂 confusion n.混乱,混淆

You should avoid confusing friend with foe.

suppose vt.推想, 假设, 猜想vi.料想conj.假使...结果会怎样

summarize v.概述, 总结, 摘要而言 summary n.总结

considerate adj.考虑周到的,体谅的,会照顾的

Mary is very considerate of the poor.

appreciate vt.赏识, 鉴赏, 感激vi.增值, 涨价

e.g. We greatly appreciated your timely help when we were in trouble.

thoughtfulness n.思虑,慎重 thoughtful a.认真思考的,想得周到的

dramatic adj.戏剧性的, 生动的

e.g. The meeting between the mother and her son was dramatic indeed.

enjoyable a.令人愉快的,可享受的 enjoy v.喜欢,享受···的乐趣

volunteer n.志愿者, 志愿兵adj.志愿的, 义务的, 无偿的v.自愿

Many old people volunteer in community service and day care centres.

call n.喊声, 叫声, 命令, 号召, 访问, 叫牌, 通话, 必要v.呼叫, 召集, 称呼, 认为, 命名, 打电话

call upon 要求,号召;拜访

cheer up 高兴起来

put oneself in sb. else’s shoes 设身处地从别人的观点看问题

in good taste a.得体的,大方的 be in bad taste 不得体的,不礼貌的

focus on 集中

cut in 插嘴,插入,把···插入

over someone’s head 超过某人的理解力

come through 表明,显示,经历,脱险

How to Give a Good Speech 怎样做好演讲

(We are all called upon to make a speech at some point in life,but most of us do not do a very good job.生活中我们都会有被邀请就某一问题做演讲的时候,但是大多数人都做得不很好。

This article gives some suggestions on how to give a good speech.

这篇文章就如何才能做好演讲提出了一些建议。)

So,you have to give a speech——and you are afraid.You get nervous,you forget what you want to say,you stumble over words,you talk too long,and you bore your audience.

好吧,你不得不做一次演讲。但你怕,你紧张,你忘记了想说的话,你结结巴巴地讲话,你讲话的时间过长,你使听众厌烦。

Later you think. “Thank goodness,it's over.I’m just no good at public speaking.I hope.I never have to do that again.”

讲完后你会这样想“谢天谢地,总算讲完了。我就是不善于在公众面前讲话。我希望我再也不要干这种事了。”

Cheer up! It doesn’t have to be that bad!.

别泄气演讲并不一定就那么令人不愉快。

Here are some simple steps to take a pain out of speech-making.

下面向你介绍一些解除演讲痛苦的几个简单步骤。

First of all,it is important to plan.Do your homework.

首先,重要的是要拟个计划,作好准备,

Find out everything you can about your subject.

找到与你演讲题目有关的一些材料。

And,at the same time,find out as much as you can about your audience.

与此同时,要尽可能多地了解你的听众。

Who are they ? What do they know about your subject ?

他们是谁?他们对你讲的主题有何了解?

Do they have a common interest?

他们是否有共同的兴趣?

Why are they coming to hear you speak?

他们为什么来听你的演讲?

Put yourself in their shoes as you prepare your speech.

在你准备演讲时,要设身处地为他们着想。

Ask yourself the purpose of your speech.What is the occasion? Why are you speaking?

你要问问自己,你演讲的目的是什么? 是在什么场合?你为什么要演讲?

Are you introducing another speaker? Moderating a discussion ? Giving a lecture? Convincing someone ? 你是在介绍另一位演讲的人,调解一次讨论,还是在讲课,还是在劝说某人?

There are many possible speaking roles , and each one has its own special characteristics.

讲话人的角色可以有许许多多,而且彼此各有自己的特点。

Make sure you know into which category you fit.

你一定要搞清楚自己属于哪一类。

Don’t spoil your speech by confusing one speaking role with another.

不要把一种讲话的角色和另一种角色弄混而使自己的演讲砸锅。

Let us suppose that you have been asked to introduce the main speaker at a meeting.

让我们假设,你要在会上介绍一位主讲人。

First,find out the most important and interesting things about the speaker.

首先就要了解清楚一些有关讲演者最重要和最有意思的事情。

Then, summarize this information in a few words.

然后,用几句话把这些加以概括。

It is all right to tell a joke if it is in good taste and will not embarrass the speaker.

如果格调高雅并且不使讲演者难堪,讲几句笑话也是可以的。

And,most important,be brief.

最重要的是简短。

Remember,you are not the main speaker;you are introducing the main speaker.

记住,你不是主讲人,而是在介绍主讲人。

If you are a moderator,you should begin by giving a quick introduction of the people on the panel.

假如你是一个主持人,你应该先简短介绍在座的人员。

After that,you should try to keep the discussion running smoothly,and you should try to focus on the connections between the speakers.

之后,你应该保持讨论的顺利进行,重点放在演讲人之间的内容衔接上面。

Keep yourself in the background.Don’t talk too much,and don’t cut in.

你要站在暗处,不要说太多,也不要插话。

Be skillful and considerate.

还要有技巧,考虑要周到。

If you are giving a lecture or explaining an idea,gather as many facts as you can on your subject.

假如你在上课或在解释一个概念,你要收集有关这一主题的材料,越多越好。

Spend plenty of time doing your research.

你要花大量时间进行研究。

Then spend plenty of time organizing your material so that your speech is clear and easy to follow.

然后花大量的时间组织材料,以使你的演讲清楚和易于理解。

Use as many examples as possible,and use pictures, charts or graphs if they will help you make your points more clearly.

如果例子和图表有助于你更清楚地阐明你的观点的话、就尽可能多地采用。

Never forget your audience.

永远也不要忘记你的听众,

Don’t talk over their heads,and don’t talk down to them.

不要讲得太深,也不要讲得太浅,

Treat your audience with respect.

要尊重你的听众。

They will appreciate your thoughtfulness.

他们对你周到细心的准备是会非常欣赏的。

If you are trying to sell something,you will need to convince your audience.

如果你在设法进行销售,你就需要使你的听众信服。

Do you want them to vote for Candidate A?

你想要他们投票支持候选人甲吗?

Are you offering them a new improved tooth brush ?

你是向他们推销一种改进型新牙刷吗?

This kind of speech is usually dramatic,but here too,you must do your research and know your facts.这种讲话通常是很生动有趣的,但是在这里也是一样,你也必须作一些研究,要熟悉你要讲到的一些事实。

When you are making your speech,try to relax.

演讲时,要极力放松。

Speak slowly and clearly and look at people in your audience.

讲话要慢、清楚,眼睛看着你的听众。

Use simple vocabulary and expressions whenever possible.

只要有可能就要用简单的词汇和表达方式。

Stop for a few seconds now and then to give your audience a chance to think about what you have said.

不时地停下几秒钟,让你的听众有机会想想你所讲过的东西。

Make sure that everyone in the room can hear you.

要确保屋子里的每一个人都听到你的讲话。

If it is a large room or an auditorium,you will probably have to use a microphone.

如果是个大屋子,你或许应当用扩音器。

Just remember:be prepared.

记住:要有准备。

Know your subject, your audience,and the occasion.

要了解你讲演的主题,你的听众和场合。

Be brief.Say what you have to say and then stop.

要简短。说你必须说的,然后就结束。

Let your personality come through so that you make person-to-person contact with your audience.

让你的个性显示出来,这样你就能和听众交心。

If you follow these simple steps,you’11 see that you don’t have to be afraid of public speaking.

如果你遵守这些简单的步骤,你就明白没有必要害怕在公众面前讲演。

In fact,you may find the experience so enjoyable that you ask to make more speeches!

实际上,你会感到这种经历是饶有兴味的,你会想要再做更多的演讲。

You’re not convinced yet? Give it a try and see what happens.

现在你还不相信?请试一试,看情况会如何。

Text B

seemingly adv.表面上,似乎真实地

resonance n.洪亮,嘹亮,共鸣 resonant a.洪亮的回荡的

assertive adj.自信的,肯定的,断定的, 过分自信的

utilize vt.利用

beneficial a.有益的,有利的 benefit n.好处,益处

monotone n.单调,不变的乐调

monotonous adj.单调的, 无变化的

delivery n.讲演,陈述 deliver v. 把···送往

volume n.卷, 册, 体积, 量, 大量, 音量

overpowering a.不可抗拒的,压倒的

overwork vi. vt. n.使工作过度,使劳累过分

supplement n.补遗, 补充, 附录, 增刊v.补充

disturb vt.打扰,扰乱 disturbance n.干扰

irritation n.激怒,恼怒 irritate v.激怒;烦躁

The Mystery of Speaking Effectively 有效讲话的奥秘

Why is that some people have a seemingly natural ability to get attention and respect when they speak ? 为何某些人在讲演时似乎能够自然而然地吸引听众的注意力并赢得足够的尊重呢?

What is it that makes others listen and pay attention to their words?

哪些因素有助于听众倾听并留意讲演内容呢?

It isn’t necessarily a question of status, or the content of what they say.

这并非取决于演讲者的身份或演讲内容。

Such people often don’t speak“Oxford’’English,express themselves using perfect grammatical constructions, or even use appropriate words.

这些人通常并未使用“牛津”英语,亦未通过完美的语法结构进行自我表述,措辞决不是完美无缺,What they do have is resonance.

但他们能够引起听众的共鸣。

Such people tend to have beautiful,rich voices and to use the lower end of their voice range.

这些人往往具有优美流畅、丰富多彩的语音,并能够有效运用语音幅度中的低音部分。

Observe and listen to others.

观察和倾听他人的说话,

People who speak quickly and breathily in a high—pitched voice do not appear as assertive as those who speak more slowly using deeper voice tones.

那些语速较快、呼吸急促、音调较高的人似乎不如那些语速较慢、音调低沉的人更富有自信力。

The lower pitch conveys control and confidence.

音调低沉说明具有一定的控制力和足够的自信心。

It would be ridiculous to suggest that from now on you self-consciously lower the tone of your voice when you speak, but you can begin to achieve greater resonance by practicing the way you breathe.如果我们建议大家从现在开始,在今后的生活中讲话时有意识地降低音调,那样似乎太荒谬了。但您可以开始通过演练自己的呼吸方式来加强语音的共鸣感。

Try this . Stand in front of a mirror breathing naturally.

不妨尝试一下,站在一面镜子前自然地进行呼吸。

Now draw a deep breath. Does your chest expand ?

现在,深呼吸一口气,您的胸腔是否有所扩张?

Do your shoulders rise? I think so.

肩膀是否有所提升?我认为一定会的,

You are breathing“high”,using your rib rather than your abdominal muscles.

因为您正在运用肋间肌,而非腹肌进行深呼吸。

Try again,this time putting your hands across your stomach.

请再试一次,这次将双手交叉放在胃部。

When you breathe in, consciously keep your shoulders lowered and fill your lungs from the abdomen—you will feel your stomach expanding.

当您吸气时,有意识地降低自己的双肩,并使空气从腹部进入肺,这时您一定会感觉到胃部正在扩张。If you practice abdominal breathing,you will be utilizing all,not just the top,of your lungs. which in itself must be beneficial.

如果您练习用腹肌进行呼吸,您将运用整个肺部,而不仅仅是肺的顶端,这样一定大有裨益。

You will also be engaging your diaphragm more,and this in turn will the lower end of your voice range and add resonance to your voice,conveying more authority.

您还可以更多地运用膈膜,这样将更加有助于语音幅度中的低音,并增加语音的响亮度,进而增强说服力。

Words delivered in a monotone soon become just that-monotonous!

采用单调、乏味的语音进行讲话,很快就会令人厌倦。

Your delivery will need light and shade if you want to keep the attention of your listener.

如果希望吸引听众的注意力,您的演讲风格中将需要加入一定的抑扬顿挫。

Assertive delivery requires smooth-flowing,resonant inflection;the voice will be relaxed with enough volume to be heard distinctly[明白地,清楚地]without being overpowering. 自信型的演讲要求流畅自然、

声音洪亮且富于变化,语音自然且音量适中,以便听者可以比较轻松地听清您讲话的内容。

However,there are some occasions when assertive behavior requires a little more power than generally recommended for everyday conversations.

不过,有时自信型的行为模式需要比日常对话具有更大的影响力。

If you were to see a small child about to put her hand into an activated food-processor,it would be inappropriate to say,in a low-pitched,relaxed way,“I’d prefer you not to put your hand into that food-processor.”

若看到一名儿童正在将手放入一台正在运转的食品加工机中,您就不应采用一种低沉、自然的口气对她说:“我希望你不要把手放入食品加工机中。”

Assertive,yes;practical,no!

这种方式属于自信型吗?属于!实用吗?不实用!

Obviously,there are occasions—when someone’s personal safety is at risk,for instance—when more force of delivery is required.

显然,当他人面临一定的危险时,您的讲话方式应更加坚定有力。

The content of the communication doesn’t have to become aggressive.however.

不过,讲话内容本身未必要带有一定的攻击性。

In the above example,a loud,sharp“NO”to stop the action immediately and demand attention.

在上述例子中,合理的做法应该是通过大声、尖利地说“不”,来及时劝阻这个儿童的危险行为并引起他的注意。

followed by a forceful explanation of why that was a dangerous thing to do,would be an appropriate response,

随后有力地说明那样做为何十分危险。

whereas“Stop ! Don’t do that you stupid child!”would be an inappropriate (though human and understandable)one.

然而,“停下,你这傻孩子,不要这样做!”却是一种不当的方式(尽管较人道并且可以理解)。

The whole child is labeled as“stupid”rather than the action itself being criticized.

因为这样做是在批评这个儿童是“傻孩子”,而不是批评行动本身。

Appropriate volume and intonation without aggressive tones will give the other person the message that you mean business是认真的,谈正事的.

适当的、不带攻击性和诋毁性的语音语调将能够促使对方意识到你这样做是“对事不对人!”

Another common failing is that when we are tense,overworked or just irritable,we often respond with a force totally inappropriate to the situation.

另一个常见的误区是我们处于紧张状态、劳累过度或明显急躁时,往往会采用一种根本不适合当时具体情况的、比较烦躁的答复方式。

To give an example:you are reading an interesting article in the Sunday papers.

比如您正阅读《星期日时报》刊登的一篇有趣的文章中,

Your partner is reading the supplement(副刊)and constantly(不断地) interrupts( 插嘴),reading aloud witty bits and snippets.

你的配偶正在阅读副刊并频繁地打搅您,大声地阅读着幽默短讯和新闻片段,

It’s breaking your concentration and making you disturbed.

不断干扰您的注意力并让您心烦意乱。

You say nothing,but when she then asks something which requires a response,like“Do you want a

coffee?”

您没说什么,但是当她向您提起了某个问题并要求您回答时,如“你想喝杯咖啡吗?”

you respond“No,I don’t;we only had one half an hour ago.Why are you so talkative ! ”

您回答到:“不,不想喝!我们半小时之前刚喝过。你可真算得上是喋喋不休!”

The intensity of the response reflects your annoyance at the previous interruptions and is certainly unfair,and totally inappropriate to the situation.

这种严厉的答复方式表明您对配偶先前频繁打断自己的思路感到愤慨,当然,这样做对于对方而言显然是不公平的,而且完全不符和当时的实情。

(It might also reflect irritation at your own lack of assertion when earlier you should have said something like,“Can you read that to me 1ater ?This article is a bit complex and I need to concentrate.”)

这或许也反映出您因缺乏自信而显出气愤,您早该说:你能否稍后再读给我听?这篇文章比较复杂,我需要全神贯注地阅读。

There are occasions in everyone’s life,social and business,when the skill of using appropriate volume and force needs to be practiced.

在日常生活、社交及工作中,有时我们需要妥善地运用适度的音量和影响力的技能。

For example ,when you have given an assertive request in clear,level tones and that request is ignored,you have two choices:give up the fight and put up with the situation as it is,or make your request again,this time with a little more force.

比如当您用一种明确的平声调,满怀信心地提出某种要求时,而他人根本没有理睬您的要求,这时您有以下两种选择:放弃争论,听之任之;再次提出这一要求,这次需要加强一定的分量。

If you take the latter course,you could either change the way of your request,making it a directive which will give the message more“punch" and/or increase volume,altering intonation to match the emotion behind the delivery.

若采用后一种选择,您或者可以通过改变方式来重新提出要求,使之更加具有命令性,从而强调信息的重要性;或提高音量,改变音调,以便符合演讲背后的情感要求。

If you are interested in this,you can have a try.

若对此感兴趣,您不妨一试。

相关文档
相关文档 最新文档